Since her childhood in California, Jazz has attracted her and when she started playing it on the clarinet, she rejoiced in playing jazz standards as well as more avant-garde contemporary jazz, composing and experimenting all possible forms of improvisations. With the groups Hatshepsut and Culture Collision, she played and toured in Germany and Lithuania, and with other groups she opened for great jazz artists in Festival Jazz Valley and Banlieues Blues).
In Mexico, the jazz scene was less “avant garde” in 1998, when she arrived so she played first main stream jazz, in various blues projects and latin jazz, before developing her own project Jazz Studio, further called Nathalie Braux Jazz Project playing her own compositions in local venues and various jazz festivals in México, recorded her album (Analogies (2006) of original compositions. She also experimented as a guest of larger groups like the Salomon Maawad nonet in San Miguel de Allende, and the big band: Gil Cervantes Jazz Orchestra.
• Quotl jazz musical show integrating Bulgarian dances, Jimmy Hendrix and Nino Rota. Collaborations with theater and dance companies, jazz festivals (opening for Joaquim Kühn Trio, in Jazz Valley Festival, 91)
• Hatshepsut (an all female band of new jazz, various tours in Germany and France, various recordings produced by Bop Cassettes in England).
• Culture Collision tour in Germany and Lithuania 1992
• Clarimba, reed instruments with percussions: opening for Carla Bley and Steve Swallow in Banlieues Bleues Festival.
• Hot Chills quintet in Paris (improvised music from scratch or scores, texts, photos, films and drawings 1994-1998).
• Bacanora, a latin jazz project with experts of the genre.
• Guest in the Cool Jazz Era Octet of Salomon Maawad in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato: concerts in Mexico and Festival Cervantino (2011).
• Gil Cervantes Jazz Orchestra: Miles Davis – Gil Evans programs (Birth of the Cool, Porgy and Bess, Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain, soloists trumpet Lina Alemano, Canada and Cristina Fawson, USA, 2009-2017) and The Three Penny Opera (2012) in main theaters in Guadalajara.
WORLD MUSIC AND KLEZMER
She has played in world music bands mainly oriented on some Eastern Europe traditions and discovered klezmer music in the early 90’s through the recordings of Giora Feidman. She played this music in Paris and found the right musicians to start her klezmer group Sherele in 2007 in Guadalajara, Mexico, with which she has toured in Mexico and played at the Millennium Stage in the Kennedy Center in 2010.
Sherele has recorded 3 CDs, is part of 2 compilations (Putumayo: Jazz Around the World and Cappuccino vol.10, Spain).
• Balkan Brass Band (Turkish and Macedonian music, Le Printemps de Bourges Festival, 1996)
• Accompanist of polish dance group Rzeszowskie
• Radaid concerts and collaboration in 2 cds in Mexico
• Hatshepsut: tour in Germany with klezmer program, venues and the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück Concentration camp (1995).
• Meshugge: Street klezmer music (1997-98) photos
• Quinta Esencia: Collaboration with accordionist Anita von Ballmoos, album Longing Balm(2013) and theater play Death of Reason (Stefanie Glick), San Miguel de Allende, Mexico photos
• Sherele: Nathalie Braux founded this band 10 years ago, which mixes klezmer, jazz, rock and Latin American folklores. photos here and link to Sherele’s page www.sherele.net
• Oy Mame Shein, Pickles, Chiles & Jrein 2008
• Goulash Birria, 2012
• Chill a Klezmer, 2017
– Polka Dot Blues (Braux) included in Jazz Around the World, Putumayo, USA, 2009, and Cappuccino vol.10, Grand Café, Spain, 2017 and the track of the Québec animation film Any Witch Way (Gold Award, Student Category, Australian Effects and Animation Awards Festival 2014
– Composition for Erik de Luna’s animation short film Electrodoméstico, Winner of Rigo Mora’s Award for best animated shortfilm at the 28th Guadalajara International Film Festival in 2013.
– Pájaro de Nube, Beatriz Cruz, International Fest. of Contemporary Dance, 2005.
– The Death of Reason, Stefanie Glick y Michael Grais, SMA, Mexico, 2009.
WORK WITH SINGERS AND SHOWS
• She recorded for Gabriela Barranéchea, Kurt Maloo (video clip of End of a Season), Gilles Elbaz (1997-98), Leo Marín, Julieta Marón, Oscar Fuentes, Martín Valverde, Omar Esau, Giovanna Piazza, Ricardo Rodríguez Zanate, Liliana Jalili, Ana Ferper.
• With singer and multidisciplinary artist Jaramar she also played numerous concerts, toured (2002-2007 and 2013-2015) and was part of a residence with Soledonna, corsican female polyphony, in Lagos de Moreno, Mexico.
• Thanks to her closeness with the Alliance française of Guadalajara, she coordinated twice the French Song Contest (2012 and 2013).
She has been part of several musical shows:
• The story of the soldier, Ramuz & Stravinsky, directed by her brother Olivier Braux, Barcelona, Spain,1992.
• Ave (Bird) musical show, composed and created by contravener composer Santiago Cumplido, dir. Pepe Vázquez, 4 singers, 4 musicians, circus team. Private corporate events, 2015.
• Amar y Vivir, homage to the mexican pianist and composer Consuelo Velazquez (5 singers, 6 musicians) in festivals Festa 2015-2018 and Festival Cervantino 2016.
and theater and dance shows:
• Un Rien de tango dans la demarche, Nathalie Clouet, with Quotl, 1992
• Le Dragon, Etienne Guichard, with Quotl, 1993.
• Ce Chantier de nos mémoires , Abolition Non Stop, 1994, Les Sans Terre, 1995, Dan Vimard.
• Ventanas en la noche, Miguel Lugo, 2002.
• Primer Acercamiento, Paloma Martínez, improvisation structures dance and music, 2004.